Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Refreshingly Dumped


Oh man. I've had many a girlfriend call me in utter frustration, "We've been dating for (insert: one, two, three) years and he hasn't given me a ring." Sound familiar to you to?
And recently, I had a guy friend say to me… "I was just about to propose to my girlfriend, I was actually going ring shopping, and I found out she's been cheating on me." How long had they been dating? 5 years. Yeah…she wanted a ring too.
Okay men. How long does it take you to realize you got a good thing in front of you?
We get it. You're scared. So are we. But if you don't know…in say 6 months. Break up with us. Don't pro-long the inevitable. We won't break up with you (that is if we like you) so don't drag it on forever.
The difference between men and women…if we don't like you…we move on pretty fast. Guys…well…they are usually chicken and hang on WAY too long.
I recently went on a few dates with this guy. He was trying to be nice…but I could tell he wasn't sure if he dug me. By date four, he said, "I think were better friends" – sure I cried a few tears, but you know what? I actually respect him for having the balls for knowing I wasn't "the one" and didn't waste my time. Refreshingly dumped!
I know most men these days think they need to court us…(okay you do.) But if somewhere in this opening phase you get a bad read…dump us. It's ok. Stringing us along gets us in an emotional funk. And then we really start hurting.
But really? How long does it take to get to know someone? Enough to know you wanted to spend the rest of your life with them.
Best example: My parents. They met and were married 9 months later. (Honestly…I don't think they were ever "engaged" – it was more like a "Vegas" moment…they went to the Justice of the Peace and just got married one day.) They were married 40 plus years (until my dad passed away). My dad did not know every detail of my mom. And my mom clearly didn't know everything about my dad. If they knew what the future held…well I don't think they would have ever gotten married.
Okay…I hear it. I live in Hollywood. This is a WHOLE different animal. For now…refreshingly dump if you know off the bat. People don't change and you can't change them. If you're not diggin it. Move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Match