Friday, June 4, 2010

Got My Cook On


I recently read an article where the writer was expounding on what she learned about dating with 31 things she wished she knew in her 20's. Number 12, she wishes she learned to cook and cook well. It helps a lot. Ahhhh to be a good cook, in her view…a way to a man's heart was through his tummy.


Link to Glamour Magazine article: http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=23779082#atoolb

On the eve of my birthday…where I'm one year older, and in my thought wiser, I have recently got my "cook on". For you see, I am the daughter of a family cook (he wasn't a chef at a restaurant or anything…) but my dad claimed that he was taught by the famed Cordon Bleu Culinary School. And my dad was one killer cook. Every Sunday, he'd hit the farmed markets, multiple grocery stores, and cook up some of my most memorable dinners. Sunday Dinner is still a tradition in my family. And as an adult, when I'm home alone, I usually try and whip up a culinary masterpiece on Sundays, whether for myself, with friends, or dare I say…a man.

I'm also a big believer in the dinner party. I introduced couples who eventually married at one of my famed dining adventures. I've had people meet and create multi-million dollar venture deals…all at my humble dinner table. I love to gather friends and family. It's what really makes my heart tick.

Recently, I was "hired" by a friend to be a caregiver for her elderly father John. She asked me if I could cook dinner for her dad too. My first day on the job, I looked in the fridge and the pantry and dare I say? I was in the "prepared food nightmare". The entire freezer and pantry had boxed dinners. Now, I have nothing against Stove Top stuffing and Rice-a-Roni…but I decided to try out some of my favorite dishes for John. After dining on my breaded filet of sole with lemon sauce, honey-glazed carrots and wild rice with slivered almonds…John looked at me and asked, "now, why aren't you married?' (Made me just love John all the more.) For a week, I cooked this man beautiful food for very little money. Now I will confess, the "bread" of the "breaded filet of sole", was Bisquick, because for the life of me…I couldn't find flour in the pantry! But…that's what a creative cook does…you make due with what you have and a little trial and error just makes you a better cook. (FYI – John is currently on the hunt to set me up, so this could get interesting….but these are my adventures for you…so enjoy.)

I have a multitude of dishes in my repertoire, but ladies, I think it is of the upmost importance to know how to cook four simple items that will wow any date. They'll actually think you can cook, even if you don't think you can.

Here are the dishes to master:

  • Roast Chicken – this is SO easy and they think you slave over the stove. You don't. Literally you prep a chicken (take it out of a bag, wash it); salt and pepper and throw into the cavity of the bird: Onions OR oranges and lemons. Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle your favorite herbs on top (dried thyme, basil, rosemary…or whatever you have on hand…Mrs. Dash? Whatever really…) and throw it in a 350 degree oven for an hour and 20 minutes…make some rice and a vegetable…Voila, dinner is served. So simple.

  • Simple Spaghetti sauce from scratch: I say "scratch" – but really a couple cans of quality stewed tomatoes, dried and fresh herbs (hello basil), olive oil, crushed garlic, diced onions, salt and pepper. Really…it's not that difficult but you can really dazzle a guy by making sauce from "scratch" – and you don't need to tell him the tomatoes came from a can. If you can boil pasta…you can make this dish. Trust me.

  • Grilled meat: Ladies. Men like steak. If you can take over their beloved grill…go for it. If the grill is "his domain" – pan frying is delicious too. Simply add butter to the pan (its true…everything tastes better with butter) and here's the key – once you get a sear…turn down the heat and continue cooking it low and slow for another 10 minutes. Then let the meat REST for 5 minutes. This allows it to continue cooking and keep juicy. After cooking your steak, add onions and mushrooms and deglaze it with some red wine or balsamic vinegar…and well…your man will have died and gone to heaven. Oh and for brownie points…make homemade French fries. Again…super easy. Oven at 400 – cut up a potato (or sweet potato) into match sticks sprinkle with oil and salt…bake for 10-12 minutes. He'll think you are a super woman…and it took you no time.
  • Apple Pie: I actually like to bake and I used to hate apple pie (I wasn't a fan of warmed fruit). Then I went to a picnic and tasted a homemade pie and was hooked. When I learned how easy to bake a homemade apple pie…well, I became a fan and truly, everyone loves a homemade apple pie. Now…I will confess…I'm not a "crust maker" – (Martha Stewart purist I'm not.) Since Pillsbury makes a fine crust in the perfect dimensions…why would I even think about chilling butter and making my own homemade crust? Exactly…you don't need to master crust making either. So buy a pre-made crust (or make your own if you dare…but trust me, your guy/guests they won't know the difference). Filling: peel and slice about 8 small granny smith apples, zest of one lemon, juice of 2 lemons, add ½ cup of sugar, ¼ cup of flour, sprinkle on cinnamon and nutmeg (to your liking). Put them in the pie shell. Cut up half a stick of butter (1/4 cup) and add pieces of butter into the apples. Cover the pie with other crust and cut slits on the top. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven (on a cookie sheet); reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40-45 minutes. Hello. So easy…serve with vanilla ice cream. And you score major points.
The cynical one in me is thinking…if I'm such a good cook, how come I'm not married? Well….I'm usually not cooking for my dates. So this is going to change. Because, if cooking is a way to a man's heart, I feel I need to stop having so many parties, and start creating more intimate dinners. Oh, and for my birthday, I am purchasing a new dining room table if nothing else, I will be whipping up romantic dinners for two.

Sweet!

HC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Match