Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Guys with dogs

I have a friend who will not date a guy unless he has a pet. Specifically, a dog.

"It shows he is committed."

Okay. I give up. How does this explore commitment? He needs to run home to Spot, far more frequently than he's asking me on a date?

"He needs to make plans," she says in all honesty. "If he's got a dog, the dog needs to be walked. He's needs to run home and not just leave on a whim."

But I like guys who can be spontaneous. Who needs an old ball and chain back at the house/condo/apartment? Who needs the baggage of "Buddy" going for a pee?

See, I too am a pet owner. I have two cats. I know, I know, single girl with a cat, not to mention two. I voided the curse of being a single girl with a cat for a LONG time. I love cats. I just didn't want to get the label. And here I am…with two. First of all, they are rescues. Secondly, they are twin brothers. Third, they keep me warm at night when no man in my bed, and they know when to vacate, when a guy comes over…they go under the bed. I can leave my boys alone for a good 4 days with some kibble, and a clean litter box. That is a solid weekend away. I don't need to come home and feed or walk them after work. I crack a window for fresh air. My boys are good to go.

But a dog? That's serious commitment. "Exactly!" states my friend. "They can be committed to something. They can have kids."

Slow down Nelly. Really? Do you tell men this? Apparently she does. She airs her theory right out in front of them. "I want to meet your dog. Let's go on hikes."

I guess she's right. It is a good sign to show a guy can be committed to something. But really, I'd prefer the commitment to be me vs. the dog. I see lots of excuses of "I need to race home to Fido…" and while I can say "wow…that's so thoughtful." It's not doing me any good on a Friday night alone with my cats. Yeah, they love me…but I wish I was curled up with someone else.


 

2 comments:

  1. I think the difference between you and your friend is that she is a Dog Person looking for a guy who's ready to commit. Whereas you are not a Dog Person (perhaps a Cat Person, but you make that call) looking for a guy who's ready to commit.

    Me, I'm a Dog Person who's heart would go aflutter if a guy said he had to meet me after he went home to walk his dog. But if it was say, checking basketball scores that he had to do before meeting up with me, my heart would be pretty much flatlining. A girl who's a basketball fan however, might feel differently. It all depends on the person is my point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree... i definitely prefer dogs to cats, but i couldnt handle the commitment required for proper canine care. i may as well have a baby.
    i'll take a fat lazy anti-social cat and a claritin dependency any day.

    ReplyDelete

Match